Archive for the ‘Subdivisions–Schaumburg’ Category

AERIAL PHOTOS OF THE EARLY VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG

June 26, 2016

The Walter and Maybelle Ellis family moved to Schaumburg Township in 1955, just before the boom started.  They, along with their daughters Jean (Mathew Helsper) and Betty (Melvin Helsper) bought property on the southwest corner of Schaumburg and Plum Grove Road from Palmer and Marge Carlson.  The daughters had married two Helsper brothers and the families moved to the corner with the intent of living close together.   Prior to building their homes, it was necessary to get approval from Cook County to have it dubbed the Helsper-Ellis Subdivision.  Once the homes were built, the families quickly became involved with the new village of Schaumburg.

These photos are from the collection of Mathew Helsper who was Chairman of the Schaumburg Zoning Board and a trustee on the Village Board.    They are a great overview–in more ways than one–of how the village evolved.

4955

 

The photo above shows the layout of the relatively new Weathersfield subdivision taking place.  We are looking south from the intersection of Schaumburg and Springinsguth Road.  The first homes are to the west (or right) of the intersection along Schaumburg Road.  This is the “W” section where all of the streets start with that letter.  The model homes were on Schaumburg Road, next to the intersection.  Notice how the homes are spread out and have larger lawns in this section.

The big box on the southeast side of the intersection is the first Jewel grocery store in Schaumburg.  Directly in front of the store is the Pure Oil gas station.  To the left of that is Fire Station 1.  Both of these buildings are gone but the Jewel building is still a portion of the Weathersfield Commons shopping center even though Jewel itself has moved further west on Schaumburg Road.

The house that is sheltered in trees on the north side of Schaumburg Road, was originally built by Mr. Ode D. Jennings, owner of The Barn property.  Sometime before 1938, Mr. Jennings built the house for his cousin Everett, who served as his attorney.  Miss Irma Fischer who was a secretary in Everett Fischer’s law firm also lived in the house.  This house was later moved down Springinsguth Road to where it still stands today.

There was another, smaller home on the property where Mr. Therman, Ode Jennings’ chauffeur lived.  According to D. Nelson who grew up in the area, this property was eventually sold in the early 1950s to Eve Fasse after Everett Jennings and Miss Fischer passed away.

The Barn property is in the middle of the photo, behind and to the left of the Jewel in a wooded glen.  Bock Park is to the left of The Barn.  Houses are already built along Standish Lane as it runs in a straight line from Schaumburg Road to Bock Park.

Looking at this aerial view, it is possible to see how Weathersfield was built in 20 plus phases.  In fact, you can make out the start of  Weathersfield  Way stretching towards the east.  As land was purchased, new phases were planned and added to the existing development.  Of course, prices went up too!

4957

 

The view of this photo is looking southwest at the Weathersfield subdivision from the area near Schaumburg High School.  According to a reader of the blog, the timing is 1965-66 because Weathersfield Unit 5 appears to be completed.   Everything from the photo above is also in this photo.

Schaumburg Road is the straight road running through the right side of the photo with Springinsguth Road being the other straight road running perpendicular to it through the subdivision.

Springinsguth Road hits Wise Road, another straight road running east to west in the photo.

Laid out neatly in a grid are parts of the Hanover Highlands subdivision, which can be seen in the upper middle of the photo.

Irving Park Road runs at a curving angle through the middle of the photo.  You can see the unincorporated Spring South subdivision between Wise and Irving Park.  Also, notice the big pond on the left side of the photo.  It is now encompassed by the Ruth McIntyre Conservation Area.

Lake Street is also in the upper portion of the photo, running parallel to Irving Park Road.  And, of course, Barrington Road bisects both of those roads through the entire upper portion.  It clearly ends at Lake Street.The view of this photo is looking due north from Irving Park Road coming in at the angle to its intersection with Wise Road, just east of Barrington Road.

4958

 

The Milwaukee Road rail line is on the bottom of the photo.  Bisecting it is Rodenburg Road.  Where it hits Irving Park Road, you can see St. John Lutheran Church on the SE corner of the intersection.

Due west of Rodenburg is Long Avenue.

On the far left of the photo, just beyond the intersection of Irving Park and Wise is Hanover Highlands.

Between Irving Park and Wise is the Spring South subdivision.

North of Wise is the Weathersfield subdivision with the Nathan Hale School property on Wise looking like it’s being prepped for construction.  Hale opened in 1969 so we can probably date this photo around 1967 or 1968.

In the upper right portion of the photo is the very wooded area of Sarah’s Grove.  Quite a dense patch of timber, isn’t it?  Timbercrest subdivision is being developed to the south of the trees.

The various parcels of Hoffman Estates are to the north of Sarah’s Grove as are the Highlands in Hoffman Estates.

Note the other two wooded areas.  The portion to the upper left is the Walnut Grove portion of Hoffman Estates between Higgins and the Tollway.

The portion in the upper center is Highland Grove in Hoffman Estates, north of the Tollway.  It is now the Paul Douglas Forest Preserve.

4956

 

The view of this photo is looking northeast towards the Weathersfield subdivision in the center.  Springinsguth runs through the subdivision with the “W” section nicely built out on the west (left) side of the road.  Clearly, development is very much happening on various sides.

The Hanover Highlands subdivision is also under construction in the southern part of the photo.

Sarah’s Grove and Timbercrest are visible in the upper central portion of the photo with development just beginning.

The Parcels of Hoffman Estates as well as the Highlands are in the top left of the photo.

Looking at these photos, it’s clear how Schaumburg Township was developed in much of a jigsaw puzzle approach.  Putting a piece here and then a piece there depended on when parcels became available from the farmers themselves or from the developers who had purchased the farms as an investment as the area begin to explode.  People like Mr. Helsper, who served on the Zoning Board, Village Board and other commissions, definitely had their work cut out for them!

Jane Rozek
Local History Librarian
Schaumburg Township District Library
jrozek@stdl.org

*Many thanks to Tom Helsper, Matt Helsper’s son for passing on these photos.  What a great resource!
**These photos were used with the permission of  UTC Aerospace Systems.  

 

Advertisements

SPRING HAS SPRUNG ON PLEASANT DRIVE

May 3, 2015

100_0433 copy

From the library it is hard not to notice this beautiful tunnel of blooming Bradford pear trees that stretches down Pleasant Drive in Schaumburg.  The shot above is looking south from Thacker Street towards Schaumburg Road.  Below, it is the opposite view looking north.  What a gorgeous sight.

100_0435 copy

 

This beautiful street is the heart of the Pleasant Acres subdivision.  Many think that Parcel A in Hoffman Estates or Weathersfield in Schaumburg were the first subdivisions in Schaumburg Township.  In fact, the Pleasant Acres subdivision was recorded in 1952.  The developer was realtor Robert Bartlett who purchased an 80 acre farm belonging to Herman Schramm.  Bartlett also, interestingly enough, was also involved in developing Parcel A, B and C with Dorothy Dalton Hammerstein and Werner and Irene Kastning–the owners of the farmland that became Hoffman Estates.

The subdivision originally consisted of 77 single family lots, except for Lot 96 which was on the NW corner of Schaumburg and Roselle Road and was home to a Marathon gas station.  The entire subdivision “was designated for single family residential use in the Village’s first comprehensive plan and zoning map adopted in 1962.  At that time, a handful of homes had been constructed in the neighborhood.”  (Village of Schaumburg document Z1608-01)

In a May 7, 1953 article from the Daily Herald, there is a mention in the Schaumburg News section that states, “Three new homes are under construction in the new development located near the center of town.  The new location is called Pleasant Acres.  Many other homes will be begun before summer.”  The first homeowners were Mr. and Mrs. Amos Crooks, according to a March 29, 1956 mention in the Daily Herald.

This Cook County Highway map from 1952 shows the original layout of Pleasant Acres.  Note that Lincoln Street parallels Pleasant.  Apparently this street continued to exist on maps for years to come but it was never developed.  Notice, too, that Walnut Avenue bisects the two streets.  Walnut was later renamed Library Lane when the new home of the Schaumburg Township Public Library was built there in 1965.  When the library moved to its present location in Town Square, and Bethel Baptist Church purchased the building, the street name was changed once again.  It is now known as Bethel Lane.

Pleasant Lane map

By 1956 however, Pleasant Acres was so established that they had their own Neighborhood column in the Daily Herald.  They also had their own Pleasant Acres Community Committee that held their meetings in the one-room schoolhouse that bordered their development on Schaumburg Road.  One of these same columns also stated:  “For the benefit of the subdivision, Romanno’s have eggs to sell occasionally.”  (Who knows what Romanno’s was and where it was?)

“Other developments in the neighborhood consisted of re-subdivision of several single family lots along Lincoln Street and the approval of Library Cove subdivision (1978).  Library Cove was never constructed.”  (Village of Schaumburg document Z1608-01)

According to the Village of Schaumburg’s 1998 Community Profile, Pleasant Acres gained final plat approval in 1985.  It continues to reinvent itself, though, with Friendship Village having absorbed several properties on the west side of Pleasant in 1994 and M/I Homes currently redeveloping the east side of the street as Pleasant Square, a mixed community of homes.  Additional building is happening on Thacker Street at the north end of Pleasant Acres.  For many years there were only two houses on the south side of Thacker between Pleasant and Roselle Roads.  Recently, those two ranches were torn down and that block is now being redeveloped into seven new homes that will be named Shannon Estates.

Change is inevitable but, for now, we sure hope that tunnel of trees is here to stay for a while.  They’re a wonderful sight to see after a long winter!

Jane Rozek
Local History Librarian
Schaumburg Township District Library

Permission to use the 1952 Cook County Highway map was graciously granted by the Cook County Highway Department.   

 

 

STREET NAMES IN WEATHERSFIELD

January 30, 2011

I recently received an email from a friend asking about the origin of the street names in the “W” section of Weathersfield.  In case you’re unfamiliar with the “W” section, this is the earliest part of the Weathersfield development and is on the southwest corner of Schaumburg and Springinsguth Roads. 

Some of the street names there include:  Winthrop, Westover, Wedgewood, Warwick, etc.  It’s rather curious that they all begin with “W” but, because this is the original part of the construction, much care would have been taken with the naming of the streets.  We can assume it was a very intentional part of their plan.

The Weathersfield development was begun in 1959 by Alfred Campanelli who was from Massachusetts.  With so much potential land to use and, with the intent of building a large development, naming of the streets would have been given great consideration.    In a sense, the Campanellis were immigrants moving to a new place and, as so often happens when people venture forth, they bring the names of the old, familiar places with them.  As a result, the names in that “W” section are all locales from the East Coast.

We have other names in the Weathersfield development like Brockton, Concord, Kingston, Duxbury, Dedham, Hingham, Plymouth, Hingham, Salem and Cambridge that are town names right out of the Northeast.  In fact, should we assume that the entire development was named for Weathersfield, VT?

A number of the street names can be attributed to some of the East Coast prep schools like Princeton, Dartmouth, Yale, Radcliffe and Groton.  Others like Revere, Carver and Standish are clearly historical figures from early American history.   And, then, there are the personal names like Leila, Charlene, Patricia, Jeffrey, Williams, Andrew and Victoria.  It is possible they are the names of family members or associates.

If you are an original Weathersfield owner or are familiar with the reason behind the naming of one or some of the streets, it would be welcome information to add to this posting.  After all, you have to wonder how Capri, Coral and Clover fit into that New England frame of mind, don’t you? 

 My thanks to B. Lane for her invaluable assistance with this posting.

THE STREETS OF WHICH NEIGHBORHOOD?

December 5, 2010

The Local History Digital Archive has these two photos that are of unidentified streets in Hoffman Estates or Schaumburg.   The Hoffman Estates historian is fairly sure these streets are in the Highlands of Hoffman Estates.  It is obviously a neighborhood of split levels and raised ranches.  Can anyone help verify this or suggest an alternative?

P.S.  Aren’t those cars great?     Judging by their style, these photos have to be from the late 1950s or early 1960s.  Maybe some of you car buffs can help us distinguish a time frame!

***FOUND.  LOCATION OF BOTTOM PHOTO.  Due to the diligence of, Larry Rowan, a reader of the blog who actually drove the neighborhood, it has been discovered that these homes are on Jefferson Street—in the Hoffman Highlands.  See the photo below taken from the same perspective.   Many thanks Larry!

***MORE DETAILS.  Marty Oliff, another reader of the blog, also confirmed that this is Jefferson Street in the Highlands.  He said, “It appears that the photo was taken looking north from Durham Lane.”   He also confirmed a possible time frame of the summer of 1961 since his family moved into 235 Jefferson on March 17 of that year.  According to him, the houses going past Frederick Lane and heading up the hill were being built at that time.

Jane Rozek
Local History Librarian
Schaumburg Township District Library
jrozek@stdl.org

 

PHEASANT WALK SUBDIVISION AERIAL PHOTO

August 29, 2010

This neat photo fell into my lap after a Schaumburg Township History presentation I gave at Spring Valley Nature Center.  It is compliments of Jean and Bill Tucknott who are longtime volunteers.  (Double click on it and you’ll get a larger view.)

The central part of the photo shows the somewhat circular outline of the Pheasant Walk subdivision as it is being constructed during the spring/summer of 1977.  A total of 93 homes were approved for the subdivision that was originally called Arlingdale by the developer and is off of Roselle Road which is in the background of the photo.  (Notice that it is two lanes.) 

Hartford Drive is off of Roselle Road at the top of the photo.  It flows into the already constructed Weathersfield Homes with Holyoke Court being in the foreground.  (Notice the  round pool in one of the backyards.) 

The Pheasant Walk models are on Hartford Drive right before the turn off for the main part of the Pheasant Walk subdivision.  They are obvious with their already grassed yards.  The back part of the subdivision has a number of already constructed homes.  These are on Long Meadow Drive with a court opening off of it.   Yet to be constructed on Pheasant Walk Drive between the third and fourth house is Slingerland Park which is presumably named for Walter Slingerland, a former Schaumburg Village trustee who also owned the property where the Schaumburg Municipal Complex now stands.

On the opposite side of  Hartford Drive is the Pickwick Place apartment complex under construction.  It is interesting to note the Pizza Hut was already there on Roselle Road along with the strip mall that is also still in existence.  The other distinctive building of note is the barn that is currently owned by the Mennonite Church.  At this point the silos are still in place and the back view of the barn is neat to see.  Hidden in the trees on the opposite side of Roselle Road is what used to be the Emil Licthardt farm. 

This photo is a unique capture of a moment in time.  What else do you see on this photo that I haven’t spotted?