Archive for the ‘Cemeteries’ Category

THE HISTORY OF THE GREVE CEMETERY OF HOFFMAN ESTATES

June 24, 2012

Our guest contributor this week is Pat Barch, the Hoffman Estates Historian.  This column originally appeared in the June 2012 issue of the Hoffman Estates Citizen, the village’s newsletter.  The column appears here, courtesy of the Village of Hoffman Estates.

At the top of the hill in the grove of old oak trees lining Abby Wood Dr. in Hoffman Estates, you’ll find the Greve cemetery, the final resting place of the first pioneers who settled this area.

In 1842 Gerhardt Greve purchased 80 acres of farmland for $1.25 an acre and set aside land for the cemetery. When the first families arrived here, the area was known as Wildcat Grove, located near Higgins and Huntington Blvd. near Barrington Square. Higgins was then known as the Chicago to Dundee Rd.

The headstones name many of those early settlers who traveled from the Hanover area of Germany arriving in New York in 1838.  The Greve, Ottman, and Schierding families “traveled by Erie Canal to the Great Lakes, then to Chicago and then by ox cart to Salt Creek Precinct, this area, later in 1850 named Schaumburg Township.” J. D. Meyer, Gerhardt Greve and J. Sunderlage had come earlier in 1832 and returned later in 1838 with their families.

In 1899 Gerhardt Greve sold the cemetery to Cook County for $1.  An 1853 law allowed community cemeteries of less than 5 acres to be removed from the tax rolls, Gerhardt no longer had to pay taxes on the cemetery land.

Never asking for help in maintaining the cemetery, the families continued to care for the graves and Cook County soon forgot that it was there.   It wasn’t until the 1960s & 70s, when the land was sold for development and plans were made to build townhomes, that the cemetery was rediscovered.  K & B builders of Barrington Square, were asked to set aside the cemetery land and in 1988, due to efforts of village trustee Bruce Lind, the land was deeded to the Village of Hoffman Estates.

The Greve Cemetery is fenced and gated and maintained by the Village of Hoffman Estates.  Visits can be arranged by contacting the village hall.  Nancy Lyons, a member of the Historic Sites Commission, conducts a cemetery walk each spring and fall.  The next opportunity to visit and learn about the early settlers who are buried
there is to plan on attending the fall Greve Cemetery tours on October 20th and 21st.

Thank you to Nancy Lyons for sharing her knowledge and history of the Greve Cemetery with me.

Pat Barch
Hoffman Estates Village Historian
Eagle2064@comcast.net

GREVE CEMETERY IN HOFFMAN ESTATES

March 7, 2010

Our guest contributor this week is Pat Barch, the Hoffman Estates Historian.  This column originally appeared in the February 2010 issue of the Hoffman Estates Citizen, the village’s newsletter.  The column appears here, courtesy of the Village of Hoffman Estates!

Tucked away in the heart of the village, in a shady grove of oak trees, you’ll find the cemetery that is the resting place of the first settlers to our area.  The Greve cemetery, named for the Greve family that set aside the land, has been preserved and is owned and maintained by the village of Hoffman Estates and the Historic Sites Commission.

The early settlers, the Greve, Sunderlage, Meyer & Ottmann families, traveled along a dirt road that on early maps was known as the Chicago – Dundee Rd. (now Higgins Rd.)   The large groves of oaks known as Wildcat Grove was the place they choose to settle in.  The oak forest offered logs for the Greve’s first home and wood for the other families.  A creek (Poplar Creek) cut through the countryside and the area offered the families the ideal location for homesteading.  Johann Greve purchased 200 acres of land between 1842 and 1846 where present day Hilldale golf course is located at Higgins and Huntington Blvd.  

With the death of the Sunderlage’s baby son John in 1846, cemetery land was chosen on a small hill amongst the towering oaks. As the years went by, other children, parents and grandparents where buried in the small cemetery.  Neighbors from the area also were buried there.

Ministers from the United Evangelical Congregation at Wickleffe (now the intersection of Algonquin Rd. and Roselle Rd.) presided over early burials.  The small congregation was first established in 1846 and built its first church in 1850.  Now known as St. John’s Church of Christ, the congregation recently celebrated its 163rd anniversary.  

 Over the years the families maintained the cemetery with frequent visits and family picnics that also served as reunions and a time to plant, weed and tidy the cemetery grounds. Old snapshots from the Meyer family, dating back to the 1940s, show the women visiting and cooking up some sausages for the picnic. With few family members left to care for the grounds, the peaceful cemetery has experienced vandalism to the headstones and grounds.  Some headstones have been deliberately damaged or even stolen.  The Greve cemetery is now fenced and the gates kept locked to protect the graves of the early settlers.

This spring the Historic Sites Commission will work with the Hoffman Estates Public Works Department in an effort to restore and repair the damaged headstones.  The HSC is also planning several small tours of the historic cemetery.  Plans are for a tour in April and another in October, 2010.  If you’re interested in seeing the Greve cemetery, please contact the Hoffman Estates Village Hall for further information at 847-882-9100.

(Please remember to look through those old pictures you may have stored away in the closet.  We’re always looking for new old pictures.)

Pat Barch, Hoffman Estates Village Historian, eagle2064@sbcglobal.net

ST. PETER LUTHERAN CEMETERY: SCHAUMBURG TOWNSHIP CEMETERIES, PART IV

January 3, 2010

St. Peter Lutheran Church formed what is now the largest cemetery in Schaumburg Township shortly after the founding of their congregation in 1847.   Originally, the cemetery was laid out in sections of 12 graves with a stone border marking each family’s plot. Each plot is separated by a pathway.

Families were given free choice in the placement of the graves in their plots. The first burials took place in 1847. Some of the stones had birth dates in the 1700’s and show the individual’s birthplace as Schaumburg, Germany. More than 1000 graves can be found in the cemetery. Many of the founding families of Schaumburg (Rohlwing, Quindel, Nerge, Lengl and Winkelhake) have members buried there.

To view many other photos of St. Peter Lutheran Church, go to the Local History Digital Archive.  Browse through the Photos by looking under Places and then Churches. 

You might also want to take a look at the Cemetery Records of St. Peter Lutheran Church Cemetery, Schaumburg, IL or Larry Nerge’s update of Cemetery Records of St. Peter Lutheran Church Cemetery, Schaumburg, IL or St. Peter Cemetery Grave Locator.  These are all available in the Documents portion of the Local History Digital Archive.

(Photo is compliments of Connie Wedemeir.)

ST. JOHN LUTHERAN CEMETERY: SCHAUMBURG TOWNSHIP CEMETERIES, PART III

December 27, 2009

This photo shows the second St. John Lutheran Church with the cemetery nearby. It’s location was across the street from the fourth and current church which is  located at 1800 S. Rodenburg Road in Schaumburg.    

The first church was erected in 1851 by German settlers. The original congregation was comprised of members who found it difficult to travel the distance to St. Peter Lutheran Church. The charter members of the church were: Christoph Steffen, Heinrich Hasemann, Friedrich Hinze, Heinrich Mensching, Christopher Ackmann, Conrad Dralle and Conrad Geistfeld.

In 1859, St. John’s joined the Missouri Synod and not long after it was decided that a new church was needed because of the growing congregation. This second church was dedicated on December 16, 1863.   The earliest burials recorded in the cemetery are from the 1860s.

The date of the photo is unknown although the next church was constructed on the same site in 1911 after this one burned down August 23, 1910.  It should also be noted that the area near this church was commonly known as Rodenburg, named for the area in Germany where many of the original church members were from.

GREVE CEMETERY: SCHAUMBURG TOWNSHIP CEMETERIES, PART II

December 20, 2009

Located in what was once known as Wildcat Grove, the Greve cemetery is off of Abbey Wood Drive near the Highland West subdivision in Hoffman Estates.

Johann Gerhard Greve and his wife Sophia Charlotte, who came here from Germany in the 1830’s, started the cemetery in the 1840’s. Other family names found here include Meyer, Volkening, Wilkening, Ottman, Schween, Dammerman, and Sunderlage.

In 1971, development of the Barrington Square town houses threatened the existence of the cemetery. A fight led by Marilyn and Bruce Lind forced the developer to maintain the cemetery’s location. Mr. Lind, a former Hoffman Estates Village Trustee, who died in December 1991, is the last individual to have been buried here.

To view other photos of Greve Cemetery, go to the Local History Digital Archive and Browse through the photos to Places.  Click on Cemeteries – Hoffman Estates.   Or, take a look at some of the Greve Cemetery documents by Browsing through the Documents. 

(Above photo is compliments of Jay Mikes.)

CEDARCREST CEMETERY: SCHAUMBURG TOWNSHIP CEMETERIES, PART I

December 13, 2009

Tucked away on a side street in Schaumburg, is a small lot that houses a cemetery used by the very early residents of Schaumburg Township.  This cemetery is located at 217 S. Cedarcrest Drive in the Timbercrest subdivision in Schaumburg.  You won’t see any remaining gravestones but the location is well known by former residents.  To the left is an early photo of  the cemetery before the property was cleaned up. 

The cemetery has gone by many names:  Schween’s Grove Cemetery, Timbercrest Cemetery and the Cedarcrest Cemetery.  It is known that the family of Ernest P. Schween, one of Schaumburg Township’s original land owners, used this site as the location of several burial plots during the mid-1800’s. Katrina (Ottman) Schierding, wife of Phillip Schierding, was one of the first buried there. Their daughter, Mary Schierding, married Ernest Schween.

View another photo of the cemetery on the Library’s Local History Digital Archive.  Browse through the Photo category under Places.  Or, try watching the video, “217” prepared by WGN reporter, Marcus LeSchock while he was a student at NIU!  Browse through the Video category under Documentaries to find it.