Recently Larry Rowan of Coldwell Banker lent the library a wonderful 1965 brochure for the Hoffman Highlands subdivision. Included in the background of the brochure were various photos of Hoffman Estates taken at the time. One was the church to the left. Our test was to determine which church it is.
After a bit of sleuthing, former Mayor Virginia Hayter suggested to us that it was the first church of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church that was built at the corner of Roselle Road and Illinois Boulevard in Hoffman Estates. Pat Barch, the Hoffman Estates historian, then passed the photo on to the current pastor of Prince of Peace and he confirmed that, yes, it was indeed their first church–and the first church in the village of Hoffman Estates!
The Lutheran congregation began on March 3 1957, when Rev. Fleischmann began holding services in Twinbrook School. The Rev. R. S. Kolberg began permanent work on July 2, 1957. The church parsonage which was located at 118 Des Plaines was completed in September 1957.
A church building committee consisting of Elmer Olson, chairman, Kenneth Johnson, Paul Olson, Andy Runyon, Norman Dostal, Edward Rickert and Pastor Kolberg began the work of seeing that a new church was erected. Ground breaking was October 27, 1957 for the new $50,000 church. The church was constructed to seat 200 people and its dimensions were 80 by 28 feet. D.E. Allison and Associates were the architects. The church construction was financed by the American Lutheran Church of which Prince of Peace was considered a package mission–a church and parsonage grouping.
The cornerstone was blessed on March 31, 1958 by the Reverend Rudolph Kolberg. The first service was held on July 27, 1958 with the formal dedication being held on September 14, 1958 at 10:45 a.m. and 3 p.m. Their last service was held in the church on April 17, 1966. The church was then sold to the Christian Church of Hoffman Estates, now known as Summitview Christian Church. When you drive past the church today, it is obvious it has been added on to. Prince of Peace, in turn, moved to their current location on Higgins Road next to Hoffman Estates High School.
The next test was the church to the right. It is obvious there is a large cross on the church and, by the looks of it, the construction process was ongoing at the time the photo was taken.
We are still unsure as to its identification and, in fact, it could be a church in another part of Schaumburg Township since the boundaries of the individual villages were still fluctuating at the time. Can you help us out? What aren’t we seeing? Any clues are welcomed!
[We have our answer! Our commenter, Bryan, was dead on with his guess that the above photo was Our Saviour’s Methodist Church on Golf Road! A big thank you to Bryan! A description of the early history of the church follows…
In November 1957, a group of people interested in starting a Methodist Church in the area, met in a home in Hoffman Estates. An Organizational Meeting was held on March 16, 1958. The eighty-five people who came were the original charter members. Initially, worship services were held in local schools and public buildings.
In October, 1958 a vote was held to purchase a five-acre site on the south side of Golf road, just east of Basswood from Ellsworth Meineke. The building was designed by Stade, Dolan and Anderson of Park Ridge. Construction took two years and the cost was $75,000. (The three crosses signify the crucifixion of Christ and the two thieves.) The first service was held there on Christmas Eve, 1960. The building was consecrated on January 22, 1961 in a 4:00 p.m. service conducted by Charles Wesley Brashares, resident bishop of the Chicago area.
This church’s initial congregation consisted of 275 members and a Sunday School attendance of 186. Even so, the church was expanding and the numbers of children growing, so the halls and gymnasium of Twinbrook School were still used on Sunday mornings. An education wing was added to the building in 1967.
In 1968, the name of the church was changed to Our Saviour’s United Methodist Church. By 1986 the church was outgrowing its building so the property was sold and new land was purchased at the current site of Schaumburg and Plum Grove Roads. The old property is now the site of a Portillo’s restaurant and House of Bride’s in Schaumburg.]
(Much of this information is courtesy of the website of Our Saviour’s United Methodist Church.)