Archive for the ‘Schaumburg’ Category

PAINTINGS OF SCHAUMBURG TOWNSHIP

April 29, 2018

This painting appeared at my desk the other day, compliments of the Schaumburg Township Historical Society.  While putting together another post on farm paintings of Schaumburg Township, this one had come to my attention but took a while to track down.  Now it was here.

Unlike most of the paintings in the other blog posting, we know the artist. Pam Bylsma, a Fremd art teacher, painted the scene in 1981.  The house was located on a farm that was bordered by Bode Road on the south, Knollwood on the west and Pennview on the north.  Sheffield Estates subdivision exists on this property today and was built during a period of years that extended from 1976 to 1978.

The painting was based on the photo below that was taken in the mid-1970s, before the house was razed.

Judging by the written location and a 1954 plat map, it appears that this was August Lichthardt Jr.’s farm.  Using earlier plat maps in the library’s collection, it is possible to see that the farm had been in the Licthardt family since the late 1860s.  Henry and Caroline (Wilkening) Lichthardt were the original Lichthardts on the farm.  They had five children–August, Anna, Clara, Martha and Edward.

Their son, August, inherited the farm and raised his family with his wife, Clara (Fasse) Lichthardt, who he married in 1905.  They had ten children of their own–Erna, August Jr., Beata, Adelia, Malinda, Henriette, Arnold, Bertha, Florence and a daughter who died in infancy.  Their son, August Jr. and his wife, Edna (Buesing), began working the farm in 1946 when August Sr. and Clara moved to Elgin.   Ten years later, in 1956, August Jr. and Edna sold the farm and moved to Wisconsin.  It is unknown who purchased the property but Levitt Homes eventually built the Sheffield Estates subdivision there.

This rather unique painting of the Quinlan & Tyson real estate office is also part of the Schaumburg Township Historical Society’s collection.  This building was on Schaumburg Road, east of the old Ace Hardware that sat on the southeast corner of the intersection at Roselle Road.

This photo shows the house being torn down with the rather iconic sign in the foreground.  The destruction happened in June 1980 when the realty company moved into a new Quinlan & Tyson building just a bit east of the house.  You can see that here.

If you’d like to read more about this company and their Schaumburg location, check out the blog posting I did before the painting was uncovered.

How fortuitous that Ms. Bylsma and artist Owens created these paintings of forgotten Schaumburg Township locations before they saw their demise.  We do have photos but the paintings are a more beautiful representation of a landscape that is no more.   If you have anything to add about either locale, please leave a comment below.  Details help!

Jane Rozek
Local History Librarian
Schaumburg Township District Library
jrozek@stdl.org

THE LITTLE CRAFTSMAN HOUSE THAT COULD

March 18, 2018

For years it was called Maggy Magoo’s.  And before that it was known as The Homestead House.  It’s the house on the right and it was a home shoppe that offered a wide variety of home accessories, decorations, gifts and floral arrangements for a variety of occasions.  You can still find the building at 105 E. Schaumburg Road even though the business is gone.

The craftsman style bungalow was built in the late 1920’s by Louis and Hannah Schoenbeck who had farmed in Schaumburg Township after they married in 1897. Louis was born on a farm north of Arlington Heights and Hannah Freiberg was born in Germany and settled in Schaumburg with her parents.

After their marriage, as stated in Louis’ obituary, they lived on their farm for 31 years.  That farm was on the east side of Roselle Road, between Schaumburg and Wise Roads.  They must have rented for a time from the owners, H.C. and Wilhelmine Thies.  A record from the April 2, 1910 issue of The Economist:  A Weekly Financial, Commercial and Real Estate Newspaper states that Louis Schoenbeck purchased the 260 acres from Wilhelmine on March 21, 1910 for for $22,ooo.

While on the farm they raised their four children:  Henry, Minnie, Edward and Clara.  When they retired from farming in 1928, they bought some property in “downtown Schaumburg” and built the home you see here.  In addition they built the small barn that still exists, a chicken house and a smokehouse.  Their property line abutted the Panzer house which was due east and has since been updated and realigned to face west.

When Louis died a few years later in 1932, Hannah remained in the house with her son, Henry, until her death in 1951.  Henry then married Katie Wachman in 1954 and they resided in the house until his death in 1966.

At some point, between their marriage and Henry’s death, the couple either sold or gave a 1/2 acre parcel to the west of their house to Minnie and Arthur Flentge, his sister and brother-in-law.  They built a ranch home of their own on the property and lived there with their daughter Lorraine.  The Village of Schaumburg eventually purchased the property after the deaths of the elder Flentges, giving Lorraine joint tenancy until she no longer needed the home.  The home was subsequently torn down around 2015 and remains an open parcel.

Meanwhile, the Schoenbeck house and property to the east were sold around 1973 to Albert and Eleonore Manzardo.  They had begun a specialty carpet business in 1970 in Weathersfield Plaza called Homestead Carpet.  It eventually expanded to include interior design and other decorating services.  After purchasing the house, they moved their business there and operated as the Homestead House for a number of years, expanding to include an offshoot business called Country Oak.

The house/business space was later leased to Alan and Margy Bedyk in 1992 who changed the name to Maggy Magoo’s Country Accents and Gifts.  It operated as such until 2016.  In March 2018, a European coffee shop called KaffeeStube opened in the spot.

So, from the Schoenbecks to The Homestead House to Maggy Magoo’s to Kaffeestube, this house has stood for 90 years with its unique-for-the-area, craftsman style.  A little variety never hurts!

Jane Rozek
Local History Librarian
Schaumburg Township District Library
jrozek@stdl.org

Articles from the Chicago Tribune, March 26, 1995 and the Daily Herald, November 13, 1992 were used in the creation of this blog posting.  The obituaries of Louis, Hannah and Henry Schoenbeck were also very helpful.

 

 

DRUMS WERE ONLY A PART OF IT: THE SLINGERLANDS OF SCHAUMBURG TOWNSHIP

March 4, 2018

When you are Gene Krupa and you’re the drummer for Benny Goodman’s band in 1936, it’s important that your drum kit is the best.  And if you’re Gene Krupa and you’re from Chicago, who do you turn to for a well made set of drums?  That would be the Slingerland Banjo & Drum Company.  But, you ask, what does that have to do with Schaumburg?

It begins with Walter Robert Slingerland who was born in Manistee, Michigan on March 30, 1889 to Samuel and Amalia Slingerland. One of eleven children, he left the farm and his family and moved to Chicago where he went to work for Armour & Co., the big meatpacking firm.  Eventually, he was transferred to South Bend, IN and later, Detroit.  On June 5, 1917 he registered for the World War I draft and was called for enlistment almost a year later on April 26, 1918.  He served with the 85th division U.S. Army and was released the same year on November 27.

He went back to work for Armour and, while working there, his oldest brother Henry convinced him to move back to Chicago.  Once there, he joined him at the Slingerland Correspondence School of Music, where they offered a free, Slingerland-manufactured ukelele and twelve lessons.  As stated in The Slingerland Book by Rob Cook, “H.H. was considered the money man while W.R. was in production and day-to-day operations.”  They eventually moved into producing banjos and guitars and were well on their way with drums in 1929 by the time their second drum catalog came out.

On January 12, 1924 Walter married Helen Rittenhouse of Hillsboro, Ohio in Chicago.  They had their first child, Robert, in 1925 followed by Walter Jr. in 1927.  The family lived on Belden Avenue on Chicago’s northwest side but, like his older brother, Henry, Walter was eager to get back to his farming roots. According to a 1959 article in the Daily Herald, “in 1941 they [Walter and Helen] purchased the 160 acres on Schaumburg Road where they still make their home.”  This land (where the Schaumburg village offices are today) was originally purchased from the government by Conrad Salge in 1847 and eventually sold to a group of investors in the 1920s who created a golf course on the property. According to Wayne Nebel, one of our oral historians, the Slinglerlands converted the property back to its farming roots and paid tenant farmers to work the land.

In 1945, during the final war year, their son Walter Jr. joined the Navy. According to the same Daily Herald article mentioned above,  the Slingerlands moved their household to Schaumburg Township the following year and lived in “the house which was built over 100 years ago [and] was remodeled by Walter and Helen soon after they bought the property.”  It was a pivotal year for Walter Slingerland because, not only did he move his family but his brother Henry died on March 13. Walter subsequently became president of the company that was now simply called the Slingerland Drum Company and commuted into the city for work.

In 1951 Walter Jr. married his own Helen who was part of the Siems family of Roselle.  The elder Slingerlands gave a parcel of land to the young couple on the edge of Schaumburg Road.  This is the building permit from Cook County that was signed on December 11, 1950 by Walter Slingerland Sr. who owned the property.  It appears Walter split his 160 acres and denoted this as an 80 acre farm/tenant parcel.  Note that a fair amount of the fees were for the septic field that would be added to the property.

Walter and Helen then built and moved into this ranch house in the same year they married.  The ranch was designed by Elmer Gylleck, Architect of Elgin, Illinois.

You’ll notice that the breezeway was closed in at some point and a second garage was added.  A third bedroom was also added on in the back of the house in the 1970s.

Three years later, in 1954, Walter Sr retired from the Slingerland Drum Company. Having lived in rural Schaumburg Township for eight years, it must have been apparent to Walter that change was coming. Given the small population, his business background and his farm’s prominent location on Schaumburg Road, he was familiar with others who were just as concerned about the coming growth.  As a result, Mr. Slingerland was placed on the ballot for village trustee in 1956.  He was successfully elected as one of the village’s first six trustees and served in that position for twelve years until 1969.

During those years he served primarily as Building Commissioner.  This was a position that oversaw the entire building process from permit to construction to signing off on the completed structure.  The village now has multiple people to handle this process so we can imagine how, in the early years, Mr. Slingerland’s personal involvement was so crucial.  Below is a sample building permit that Mr. Slingerland signed with a stamp of his signature.

He also served on the Zoning Board of Appeals, the Plan Commission, in the Public Works Department, twice on the Township’s Quadrennial Land Assessment Committee which evaluated land values, and was the trustee who pushed to change the village’s name from Schaumburg Center to Schaumburg.  In addition, his wife Helen served as the village’s first treasurer and was a charter member of the Schaumburg Historical Society.  Their involvement was key at such a dynamic period in village history.

Prior to his retirement, the Slingerlands sold their property in 1962 and built a new ranch home at 400 Columbine Drive in Lexington Fields.  They sold their portion of the farm to William Lambert who intended to develop a large scale, high density apartment complex in the area.  He also planned to donate 40 acres of the property to the Village of Schaumburg with the intent that it would be the site of a civic/culture center.  The Heritage Center complex never did get built but the village opened their Municipal Center in 1974 on the lovely spot we find it today.

Amazingly enough, the old home that the Slingerlands bought in 1941 survived the development.  During construction of the Municipal Center in 1973 or 1974, the home was moved across the street to the St. Peter Lutheran Church property and can still be found there.

If the dates are correct, this makes that home one of the oldest structures in the village. As you can see in the 1978 photo above, the home was a bit worse for wear but new siding was added around 1982.   Thirty years later in 2012, the house was resided once again and remains in good condition.

When the elder Slingerlands sold their property, the younger Slingerlands opted not to sell and remained in their ranch home.  They were very active at St. Peter Lutheran Church and Walter served as one of the first presidents of Schaumburg High School’s parent group, the VIP’s.  As the village property grew to include the Prairie Arts Center for the Arts, the Slingerlands sold their house to the Village in 1989.  They worked out an agreement that allowed them to stay in their home until a time when they were ready to move.  The home would then revert to the village. This happened in 1994 when the Slingerlands moved from the area.

The house was remodeled and the Nursing and Senior Services Division of the village opened in 1995.  This past summer, in 2017, the village board voted to move the Division out of the house and into the Market Square shopping center at Plum Grove and Schaumburg Road.  This paved the way for future destruction of the house which will occur sometime after the move in July or August of 2018.

We are fortunate that we still have the original house on the St. Peter property, close to the final resting place of Walter and Helen Slingerland Jr. at St. Peter Lutheran Cemetery. Both generations of Slingerlands definitely left their mark on the area, whether it was their houses or their time. In commemoration of all they gave, Slingerland Park in the Pheasant Walk subdivision and Slingerland Drive off of Weathersfield are named for the family.  Do take a moment and think of them the next time you are there.

Jane Rozek
Local History Librarian
Schaumburg Township District Library
jrozek@stdl.org

Many thanks to Mary Helen Slingerland Owens, daughter of Walter and Helen Slingerland, for discussing details in this blog posting.  She was most gracious with her quick responses and also passed on the building permit and architectural sketch of her parents’ home.  

Details for this blog posting were derived from the obituaries of the Slingerlands, war records on Ancestry.com, various articles from the Herald and The Slingerland Book which the library owns.

The photo of the Slingerland Drum Company comes from coopersvintagedrums.com  We thank them for the photo.

 

 

LIFE AT SCHAUMBURG AND ROSELLE ROAD IN THE 1920s AND 30s

October 8, 2017

Last week Florence Catherine Bell shared her stories about what it was like to attend the one-room Schaumburg Center School.  We received interesting and detailed information about the school that we hadn’t known before.

Because she was game for a few more questions, I decided to take a different tact and ask her about some of the businesses that were in place at the intersection of Schaumburg and Roselle Roads in the 1920s and 30s.  We have that wonderful set of postcards of this intersection from 1913 and it seemed like a good idea to tie the questions to those photos.  Let’s take a look at what she had to say…

 

In 1913 when this photo was taken this building was Farmer’s Bank of Schaumburg.  It was on the northeast corner of the intersection and was moved in 1980 when the intersection was widened.

During Florence Catherine’s time in Schaumburg Township, her parents, James Austin and Florence Bell, did not use the bank but they did go in periodically.  Florence Catherine remembers that it was small inside–even to a young girl’s eyes.  She does not recall bars on the windows that a number of banks had during that time.  She had no memory of a safe or vault or of any robberies that occurred.

She did say that, as far as she knew, there were only the teller and his wife who worked there and they lived in the apartment above the bank.  She remembered the banker as Mr. Kraft.  In doing a bit of research, I discovered in a January 16, 1925 article in the Herald that this 100 year old lady wasn’t far off in the memories of  her 7-year-old self!  His name was William C. Kreft and he was listed as the cashier.

In 1913 this building was a hardware store that was on the southeast corner of the intersection.  It is currently Lou Malnatis.

Florence Catherine remembers this as Schnute’s Tavern.  It was owned by Herman Schnute and was, again, visited by Florence Catherine only a few times.  She noted that this was a saloon even though Prohibition was in effect.

She had a cute story about how her horse ended up having a beer at Schnute’s.  “I was riding my horse, and there were all these guys standing outside of Schnute’s, shooting the bull.  I stopped to talk to them and they got the idea to take the horse inside the bar to get it a beer.  [They guided the horse into the bar], the horse smelled the beer and it backed out of the bar.”  The horse obviously knew better.

As far as the buildings to the right of Schnute’s, she did not recall what their purpose was.

This was the Fenz store that was on the southwest corner of the intersection.  It was a general store and farm implement dealer and, unfortunately, burned down in 1924.

Even though Florence Catherine would have only been 7 at the time of the fire, it’s such an unusual building that I couldn’t resist asking her what she knew about it.  She did not remember the building but she did recall that the bottom part was still there.  She said, “We would cut across the area where it was burnt” as they walked to and from the Schaumburg Center School that she attended on Schaumburg Road.

This parcel remained empty until Schaumburg’s first mayor, Louis Redeker, built a small, one-story building on the corner that later became the Tri Village/Ace Hardware.

Originally a hotel and saloon that was owned by Charles Krueger, the business was purchased in the 1910’s by Frank Lengl.  He eventually renamed it Lengl’s Schaumburg Inn.

Florence Catherine’s father was a friend of Frank Lengl so she knew this building well.  She said Mr. Lengl went to Germany and brought back two nieces and two nephews.  (They attended the Schaumburg Center School to learn to speak English.)  One of the boys helped in the bar and the other acted as a stable boy, taking care of the barn and animals.  According to Florence,  Mr. Lengl had a “trotting horse” that he would ride to the Bell’s house.  She also said, “When Daddy wouldn’t let me have the bridle to my horse, I would go over to Mr. Lengl’s and borrow one from him.”

The nieces helped Mrs. Lengl in the kitchen since Lengl’s offered both food and drink.  Florence specifically mentioned that steaks were served in the good sized dining room.  As far as drinks went, the bar had a “doors wide open” policy during Prohibition.  People would come from Chicago to go to Lengl’s.  It was “like a nightclub and had rooms upstairs.”

Mr. Lengl also built a big stage at one end.  The public schools would use that area for their graduations.

This is a drawing that her granddaughter drew of the layout of Lengl’s during the years Florence Catherine was familiar with the business.  Orient yourself by where the door is at the corner.  Behind the bar area was a partition that separated the restaurant from the bar.

This is a view of the intersection looking south down Roselle Road.

By the time Florence Catherine lived at Stratford Farms, Roselle Road was paved while Schaumburg Road was still dirt/gravel.  According to her, the view looking south didn’t really look that different during her day–except for the fact that the Fenz store to the right was gone.

She did note that, during the time her family lived here, the Latner family moved to the small town center and opened a small store on the east side of Roselle Road.  The lady of the family and her son ran the store.  According to Florence Catherine, it was located between Lengl’s and the dairy (Buttery.)

Roselle Road itself was wide enough to allow automobiles to maneuver the pavement.  The ditches were VERY deep and when they filled with snow and ice, “they would be level with the road and we would walk on the ditches on the way to school.”

Between the narrow road and the steep ditches, visitors to Schnute’s and Lengl’s would not always be able to stick to the road due to the drinks they had enjoyed.  After winding up in the deep ditches, people would knock on the door of the Bell home at 2:00 or 3:00 and her father would get “a team of horses out and hooked up early in the morning to pull those cars out of the ditches.”

I’ve heard stories about how narrow this road was in the 1950s and 60s so it sounds like the situation really didn’t get much better over time.  Things finally changed after the road was graded and widened.

It’s nice to have these small details added to our local history.  Kate, thank you once again for your sharp memory and good observation skills.  I still can’t believe that you remembered Mr. Kreft’s name!

Jane Rozek
Local History Librarian
Schaumburg Township District Library
jrozek@stdl.org

 

 

SCHAUMBURG THROUGH THE DECADES: A MONTHLY LOOK BACK

December 20, 2016

During Schaumburg’s 60th anniversary year of 2016, we will take a look back at the Schaumburg  you’ve known for the last six decades.  Every month there will be a posting on 3 village happenings for each decade the village has been in existence.  Maybe you remember some of the events and have something more to add to a few of the items?  Send in your comments!

60 Years Ago in 1956

  • Pure Oil gained approval from the Cook County Zoning Board of Appeals at a hearing at Schaumburg School to change the zoning on their property from farming to business use.  The 62-acre tract would scheduled to hold a new office that would accomodate 1000-2000 potential employees.Pure Oil
  • 100 young 4-H’rs were in attendance at Schaumburg School for the Schaumburg 4-H Agricultural Club’s achievement night and Christmas party.
  • The home of Mrs. Minnie Kastning that was across Roselle Road from the Turret House, burned to the ground Monday, December 10.  Mrs. Kastning was rescued from the home by firemen who were alerted to the fire at 2 A.M. by a passing motorist.

50 Years Ago in 1966

  • The Illinois State Chamber of Commerce announced that the three largest new building facilities in Illinois for the year 1966 were the $395 million dollar accelerator being built at Fermilab, the nearly $30 million dollar foundry being built at Silvis and the 674,000 square foot Motorola plant.  The latter was the largest facility being built under one roof.
  • Final approval was given by the District 54 board to purchase and install 5 mobile classrooms in the district.  They were expected to alleviate crowding at Fairview, Campanelli and Hillcrest schools.
  • The Schaumburg Jaycees were selling Christmas trees, wreaths and accessories at the Weathersfield Commons shopping center at Schaumburg and Springinsguth Roads on Saturdays and Sundays before the holiday.  In addition, Santa was expected to be there to greet the kids!  (The photo below shows Weathersfield Commons at a later date when the Jewel Food Store had been moved from its first location.  When the shopping center opened–and when the Jaycees sold their Christmas trees in 1966–it was originally located where the True Value is at the back of this photo.)weathersfield-commons

40 Years Ago in 1976

  • In a Chicago Tribune article on Woodfield at Christmas, a variety of stores were mentioned:  Two-Plus-Two Jewelry, Sears Roebuck, Puppy Palace, McDonalds, I-Natural Cosmetics and J. C. Penney.  The same article stated that the mall was so crowded during the season that employees parked at Pure Oil and were shuttled across Golf Road to the shopping center.
  • The a capella quintet named Stormy Weather was scheduled to perform on December 19 at B’Ginnings, the Schaumburg nightclub on Golf Road.  They were noted for performing “doo-wop” or “street corner” singing.
  • The Chicago Tribune reviewed a new Asian restaurant in the Woodfield Commons Plaza at Golf Road and National Parkway called Fu-Lama Gardens.  They offered not only Chinese cuisine but Szechuan, Japanese, Polynesian, Cantonese, Mandarin and Indian specialties.

30 Years Ago in 1986

  • At their new store at 130 W. Golf Road in Schaumburg, CompuMat was featuring “the most advanced personal computer in the world.”  It was a Compaq Deskpro 386.
  • The Woodfield Plitt Theatres were showing the following movies at the beginning of December:  An American Tail, Star Trek IV, Peggy Sue Got Married, The Nutcracker, Children of a Lesser God, Firewalker, Crocodile Dundee, The Color of Money and Something Wild.
  • The following older subdivisions were targeted for street lights in the near future:  Lexington Fields Estates, Meadow Knolls and Pleasant Acres.  An increase in vehicle sticker fees was being considered as a way to pay for the lighting.

20 Years Ago in 1996

  • It was announced that the Winkelhake Farm on the southeast corner of Higgins and Plum Grove Road would be sold for development to Cambridge Homes.  The property was the last farm in Schaumburg and had been owned by the Winkelhake family since the original land grant purchase in 1846.winkelhake-farm
  • Medieval Times decided to freshen up their act a bit by garbing their knights in armor instead of chain mail and adding a court sorcerer, new pyrotechnics, high-powered stereo system and new bright and colorful costumes.  The business opened its first castle in 1983 in Kissimmee, FL.
  • The Schaumburg Sister Cities Commission planned to send a group of health care professionals to the sister city of Schaumburg, Germany to view their country’s outlook and practices in the medical field.

10 Years Ago in 2006

  • Santa Claus was temporarily kept from his chair in Woodfield’s Central Court for an entire day when a decoration suspended from the ceiling caught fire in the early morning hours of December 11.  He was back in place the following day.
  • Elio’s Pizza at 977 W. Wise Road was having their grand opening special and offering 50% off any pizza or pasta on Tuesdays.
  • The Village of Schaumburg began a new, annual tradition of selling a Christmas ornament that depicts a local establishment.  The tradition was established as part of the village’s 50th anniversary celebration and the first ornament design was the Turret House on Schaumburg Road.Turret House

Jane Rozek
Local History Librarian
Schaumburg Township District Library
jrozek@stdl.org

The photo of the Weathersfield Commons Shopping Center is used courtesy of  the former Profile Publications of Crystal Lake.
The photo of the Winkelhake farm is used courtesy of Spring Valley.

The factual items for this blog posting were taken from stories that appeared in the Daily Herald and the Chicago Tribune.

 

 

 

SCHAUMBURG THROUGH THE DECADES: A MONTHLY LOOK BACK (NOVEMBER)

November 20, 2016

During Schaumburg’s 60th anniversary year of 2016, we will take a look back at the Schaumburg  you’ve known for the last six decades.  Every month there will be a posting on 3 village happenings for each decade the village has been in existence.  Maybe you remember some of the events and have something more to add to a few of the items?  Send in your comments!

60 Years Ago in 1956

  • More than 1500 suburban residents–including those from the newly formed village of Schaumburg–participated in a fund drive to raise $1 million for a new hospital to be built near Arlington Heights.  The hospital was to be named Northwest Community Hospital and is shown below.northwest-community-hospital
  • In a classified ad in The Herald, a “modern 2-family house, [with] income $200 per month, large barn [on] 5 3/4 acres” was listed for $17,000.  It was listed as being the first house east of the church in Schaumburg.  The reference is to St. Peter Lutheran Church along Schaumburg Road.
  • Anyone having scrap paper and/or rags was invited to drop them off at St. Peter Lutheran School on Friday, November 23, the day of their Scrap Paper Drive.  It was requested that the bundles be securely tied.

50 Years Ago in 1966

  • Ace Hardware, at the corner of Schaumburg and Roselle Roads, was having a sale on the following products:  TV tray table set for $5.99, deluxe wall can opener for $5.87, portable ice crusher for $7.99, 8-inch cast iron skillet for $1.89, bath scale for $8.99 and clock radio for $13.88.clock-radio
  • It was announced in mid November that Mayor Robert Atcher would run for reelection the following April.  A slate of three additional village board candidates of the Schaumburg United Party (SUP) was also announced.  They include:  Raymond Kessell, Donald Wench and Gordon Mullins.  Sandy Carsello was also included as a candidate for Village Clerk.
  • An open house for the new Thomas Dooley school was scheduled for Sunday, November 20 from 1-4 p.m.  It is the 12th school in Schaumburg Township and the third school in the village of Schaumburg.  The building was built to resemble its sister school, Winston Churchill School, in Hoffman Estates.  The principal was Karl Plank who had been previously employed as principal at Black Hawk school.

40 Years Ago in 1976

  • Schaumburg banded together with seven other northwest suburban communities to begin the process of getting on the Lake Michigan water pipeline.  The name of the group was called SHARE +3.  The projected cost for the village was $11.8 million to $16.6 million.
  • Schaumburg Road between Springinsguth and Barrington Road was scheduled to be improved and widened.  The award for the 1 1/2 mile stretch of road was awarded to Palumbo Excavating Co.
  • Musicland and J.G. Music Center in Woodfield Mall was advertising specials on the following stereo lps and tapes:  Phoebe Snow’s It Looks Like Phoebe Snow, Blue Oyster Cult’s Agents of Fortune, Earth Wind & Fire’s Spirit, Neil Diamond’s Beautiful Noise, Boz Scagg’s Silk Degrees, O’ Jays’ Message in the Music, and Boston’s Boston.  

30 Years Ago in 1986

  • Daruma of Schaumburg which opened at 1823 W. Golf Road in Schaumburg in August was reviewed in the Chicago Tribune.  The long-running, Japanese restaurant can still be found in the same location in the Poplar Creek Plaza thirty years later!daruma
  • On Black Friday, the Friday after Thanksgiving, the parking lot at Woodfield Mall was filled with 10,288 cars by 1:00 p.m.  The attendance was estimated to be 150,000 which was the norm for the past few years.
  • The Annex shopping center in Schaumburg was having sales at the following stores:  Mix ‘n Munch, Card & Gift Gallery, Pier 1 Imports, Kids Place, Stacy’s Bags and Baggage, Space Options, Pro Ski & Surf, Waves Personal Hair Care, Van Heusen Factory Store and Lingerie Factory.

20 Years Ago in 1996

  • Consideration was given by the village board to requiring address numbers of businesses to be a certain size, depending on how far the establishment is from the street.
  • It was reported that, for the first time, Septemberfest turned a profit and moved closer towards being a self-supporting event.  The success of the festival was attributed to corporate sponsorships, increased fees, in-kind donations, a larger take of the Taste of Schaumburg food and beverage receipts and cleanup by Manpower.
  • Mayor Larson laid the first brick of the new terminal at Schaumburg Regional Airport.  This kicked off the development of the building that would hold administrative offices, a restaurant, aircraft maintenance areas and a flight school.  Pilot Pete’s became the eventual restaurant and can still be found at the airport.pilot-petes

10 Years Ago in 2006

  • Schaumburg announced they would be be featuring another year of the outdoor holiday festival in Town Square called Christkindlesmarkt.  Sponsored with the Schaumburg Township District Library, the festival would be an open market with European influences.  A Festival of Lights would be part of the festivities as well as horse-drawn sleigh rides.
  • Janet Niemann, the founding chairperson of the Schaumburg Sister Cities Commission, passed away November 6.  She also chaired Schaumburg Township’s Youth Commission and was very involved in the Jaycees and Jayceettes, having been a past president.
  • El Meson, Rupert’s On The Top and Prairie Rock Brewing Company all were featured in a Night Out:  Guide for Dining and Entertainment in the Daily Herald.  

Jane Rozek
Local History Librarian
Schaumburg Township District Library
jrozek@stdl.org

The photos of Northwest Community Hospital and the clock radio are used courtesy of the Daily Herald.  The photo of Pilot Pete’s is courtesy of Ted and John Koston from their Flickr page.  

PRAIRIE CENTER FOR THE ARTS

November 13, 2016

 

Prairie Center 2 of 1

Prairie Center 2 of 2

These wonderful renderings of the Schaumburg Prairie Center for the Arts were recently discovered on a 1983 calendar prepared by the First Bank of Schaumburg.

The drawings were created by architects, LaRocca Associates of Chicago, in anticipation of construction of the Prairie Center.  It had been many years in the making and was soon to come to fruition.

Two years later, on March 13, 1985, the invitation for bids went out to the public.  Final approval had been given for a building that would contain a 429-seat theater, ticket office and conference rooms, as well as an outdoor plaza.  The location would be just east of the Municipal Center on Summit Drive at a planned cost of $2.2 million. The project was paid for through a special endowment of funds collected over the years from developers.

Not surprisingly, there had been earlier suggestions for an even larger venue.  As far back as 1968, former Mayor Robert Atcher had originally planned a 500-seat drama theater and a 900-seat concert hall.  Scott Fisher, who was the chairman of the Cultural Commission in 1983, favored a 750-seat hall but the price was too high.  And, interestingly, prior consideration had also been given to a proposed site near Woodfield Mall.

The bid for the scaled down project in 1985 was eventually awarded to International Contractors of Elmhurst and building commenced in May of that year.

During the course of construction, consideration was given to who would be the director of the Cultural Center.  By July, Village President Herbert Aigner suggested that the village board opt for former President Bob Atcher as the ideal candidate.  “His heart is in this.  He’s in the entertainment field. He’s got contacts with major business people and a tremendous reputation.”  (Daily Herald, 7/17/1985)  After giving it some thought, the 71-year-old President Atcher turned down the job, concerned that the time necessary to devote to the job was more than he was comfortable with.

In October the village hired Elizabeth Armistead, former program coordinator for the Hemmen’s Auditorium in Elgin.  Going forward, her duties were to manage the Center, be involved in the construction process of the building, establish a group of part-time workers to assist her in day-to-day operations and seek out entertainment for the venue.  To this day, Ms. Armistead continues in her role, even as that role has expanded to include oversight of Septemberfest, the Prairie Arts Festival, the village’s cable channels and the Volunteer of the Year Awards program.

On June 14, 1986, a little over a year after the project had begun, grand opening ceremonies were held.  The stars of the show were former Schaumburg Village President Robert Atcher and his wife Maggie and their three children.  Having long desired such a facility for the village, the Atcher family returned their gratitude with a country and western concert to the an appreciative audience of nearly 200 people.

Kudos were also extended to William Lambert who originally donated some 40 acres of land to the village as the future site of the municipal center and cultural center.  He was given the honor of cutting the ribbon that stretched from end to end across the new stage.

prairie-center-interior

prairie-center-exterior

Twenty years later, during the 50th anniversary year of the Village of Schaumburg, the theater at the Prairie Center was officially dedicated to Maggie Atcher who helped form the first cultural arts commission in Schaumburg.  It was a fitting bookend to the building next door, the Robert O. Atcher Municipal Center.

Today the Prairie Center continues to offer itself as a lineup for entertainment, a venue for local orchestras and choirs and a patio for the festivals held on the municipal center grounds.  Even if you haven’t been there for an attraction, you may just want to stroll the grounds.  The walking paths are an enticement to return again!

Jane Rozek
Local History Librarian
Schaumburg Township District Library
jrozek@stdl.org

THE ARNOLD PHOTOS: A SMALL TREASURE COMES TO LIGHT (PART TWO)

October 9, 2016

As mentioned in a blog posting from August 28, 2016, the Schaumburg Township Historical Society received a phone call from the Arnold family last fall.   They had a collection of photos of Schaumburg that Mrs. Arnold took in the early 1970s.  The pictures had sat in a drawer for the past forty years and they were hoping to pass them on to someone who might be interested.  The Historical Society gladly accepted the photos and then kindly donated them to the library to add to our Local History Collection.

The story of these photos begins in 1971 when the Arnold family moved to Schaumburg from southern California.  They were surprised at the amount of open space in Schaumburg Township still occupied by farm fields and undeveloped acreage.  Mrs. Arnold said, “We were amazed at all the open field but knew that wouldn’t last long.  I decided to take pictures of the ‘before’ of Schaumburg.”  She then began to drive the roads of Schaumburg, taking photos of various buildings and intersections.  This is some of what they saw…

4925-arnold-1

Taken from Schaumburg Road between Walnut and Barrington Road.

This is one of the McNaught-Odlum farms.

The property was part of the Gertrude and Norris McNaught farm that was called Rolling Acres.  It was purchased from William Schuneman in 1937 by Gertrude and her husband Norris, who co-founded Duro Metal Products in 1916.  Mr. McNaught died in 1942 and his widow later married his business partner, William Odlum.   It  became known as the Odlum property and was eventually sold for development in 1986.

This portion of the farm was on the southeast corner of Barrington and Schaumburg Road.  The family farm of Ruth (Volkening) Clapper was to the east of this acreage.  According to Mrs. Clapper this portion was leased “from the McNaughts during the war [by the Navy] and had a pilot training area with small shed type buildings on the property.  The sheds on the navy property were about 20 x 20 ft. and used for residences for the men working on the property… The buildings were quickly built with no inner walls so they were cold in the winter and hot in the summer. We used that Navy building for storage and, in the summer, part was my playhouse for my dolls and all their furniture including a child size kitchen.”

You can read about the Navy’s use of the property for pilot touch and go training here.

Mrs. Clapper said “the barn had a residence over the right extension of the barn. Two families lived on the farm – one in the house and one above that portion of the barn.”

4926-arnold

Schaumburg Road between Walnut and Barrington Road

This is a better vantage point of the farm and it is possible to note that the lane off of Schaumburg Road separates the barn from the house.  In fact, there seems to be quite a distance between the two.  It is also interesting how many trees and evergreens surround the house, providing shade and a wind break.  What appears to be missing–or obstructed from view–are the many outbuildings that can be found on a farm, i.e. the machine shed, a chicken house, equipment shed, etc.  Maybe they are tucked in amongst the trees or over the rise of the hill?

McNaught-Odlum farm on Barrington Road

The other McNaught-Odlum farm is in the distance with its big white barns and silos.  The acreage of this farm was substantial and the farm place itself was near the northwest corner of the intersection of Schaumburg and Barrington Roads.

 

4930-arnold

Looking southwest from the intersection of Schaumburg and Walnut Lane.

 The brown building on the corner is Christ the King Lutheran Church (then Our Shepherd Lutheran Church, now Salem Korean United Methodist Church) which was built around 1971.  According to Mrs. Clapper, the church was initially intended to be an outreach center for St. Peter Lutheran Church.  In the middle background are some of the buildings of the farm belonging to Mrs. Clapper’s parents, Herman and Edna (Greve) Volkening.  You can see the large barn with the silos to the right.  The white building to the left is the corn crib.

The Volkenings sold the corner to the church and according to Mrs. Clapper, “the parsonage is my family home since my parents had it moved there so it would not be demolished. They were one of the last to sell their land.  The church was built without a parsonage and Pastor Borhardt (sic) rented a house in Weathersfield until my parents sold their farm and moved the house.”

In the far background are the Hanover Highlands homes.

4927-arnold

Schaumburg Road and Pleasant Drive looking northeast.

As we look northeast, we can see the back of the strip mall that was on the NW corner of the intersection of Schaumburg and Roselle Roads.  This strip mall–that was never named–was built  around 1966 and remained on the corner until 2010 when the village bought the property for development purposes.  The property is now the home of Pleasant Square–a residential development that includes row houses, townhouses and single family homes.

4938-arnold

Town Square sign at the intersection with Schaumburg Road.

The Town Square sign on Schaumburg Road at Pleasant Lane notes the turnoff for the shopping center that opened in 1970.  The homes of Timbercrest are in the background.

4929-arnold

Looking across Schaumburg Road near Branchwood Drive at the property that became Friendship Village.

In July 1972 the Village of Schaumburg and Rush Presbyterian St. Luke’s Medical Center North announced that they were beginning negotiations to bring a hospital to Schaumburg.  Their potential site was the home of today’s Friendship Village and, at that time, was owned by A. Harold Anderson of J. Emil Anderson & Son, a large Chicago area development company.  The sign notes their potential development of the space.  The project was disbanded in 1975 when the costs became too high to bring a hospital to Schaumburg.
4932-arnold

Looking northeast across Schaumburg Road at Hilltop Drive.

The cars across the street are parked at Blackhawk School which opened in 1958.  To the right is the property that would later be used for the Schaumburg Post Office.

4937-arnold

Looking west down Schaumburg Road at Hilltop Drive.

One of the Hoffman Estates Parcels is to the right off of two-lane Schaumburg Road.  Note the tall oak trees on the right side of the road.  They are remnants of the original Sarah’s Grove.   The distinctive Episcopal church sign, also on the right, is there to point out the Church of the Holy Innocents that was on Illinois Boulevard for many years.
4935-arnold

Looking across Barrington Road at the Schaumburg Road intersection.

Notice that Schaumburg Road ended at Barrington Road at that time.  Even so, Barrington Road was a four lane road with a stop light.

4936-arnold

Schaumburg Road near Walnut

The open spaces, undeterred by development in these photos, were abundant and definitely carried a rural feel.  Schaumburg Township in 1973 still had an awful lot of growing up to do!

Jane Rozek
Local History Librarian
Schaumburg Township District Library
jrozek@stdl.org

My thanks to Ruth Volkening Clapper for providing the necessary details that allowed me to complete this blog posting.  Her personal memories and knowledge of the area were a wonderful addition to the photos taken by Mrs. Arnold.  

SCHAUMBURG THROUGH THE DECADES: A MONTHLY LOOK BACK (AUGUST)

August 21, 2016

During Schaumburg’s 60th anniversary year of 2016, we will take a look back at the Schaumburg  you’ve known for the last six decades.  Every month there will be a posting on 3 village happenings for each decade the village has been in existence.  Maybe you remember some of the events and have something more to add to a few of the items?  Send in your comments!

60 Years Ago In 1956

  • A notice in the Daily Herald announced that there would be a German service held at 9 a.m. and an English service at 10:15 a.m. at St. Peter Lutheran Church.  The English service could be heard on WRMN, Elgin and on The Lutheran Hour at 12:30 on WMAQ.
  • An article on Ellsworth Meineke detailed his love for bees and the honey they produce.  His shop and house had only been on Golf Road for a couple of years at this point, having moved from an earlier location on Higgins Road in the Busse Woods Forest Preserve in Elk Grove Village.  Mr. Meineke was known locally for his honey candy.Meineke Honey Farm
  • In the “Down On the Farm” column by Carl F. Mees in the Daily Herald, he mentions that he talked with a number of local farmers, including Emil Freise, Faustin Zeller, Wilmer Rohlwing, Emil Pfingsten and Xavier Schmid, who had all reported excellent wheat yields for the summer.  He had also talked to Herman Volkening who was experimenting with growing maize in addition to corn.  It was his second year and the yield was very high.

50 Years Ago in 1966

  • An article discussing The Barn property noted that court is held in the former hay loft, the police department is on the ground floor and other municipal offices are in various buildings on the former Jennings farm.  Mayor Atcher mentioned that he hoped to move village offices closer to Schaumburg and Roselle Roads in about three years.The Barn 3
  • Motorola Inc. launched its first phase of a new office, engineering and manufacturing plant.  The building on the 326 acre site was scheduled for occupancy in January 1967.
  • Permission was received from the Village Board for the Schaumburg Jaycees to begin painting house numbers on the curbs for each home in the village.  Work would be done on the weekends until the job was finished.

40 Years Ago in 1976

  • Eugene Matanky, a local developer, hoped to reach a compromise with the village on his proposal to develop the Sarah’s Grove property into 64 six-flat apartment buildings.  The property was on Schaumburg Road, approximately 1/4 west of Roselle Road.
  • A program on Citizens’ Band radio was being held at the Schaumburg Township District Library.
  • The 55-acre Paul Rosenwinkel farm on the northwest corner of Roselle Road and Weathersfield Way was sold to the First State Bank and Trust Company of Franklin Park  and developer R. L. Roth of Elmhurst.  Roth had obtained the appropriate zoning in 1975 for the future Farmgate subdivision, which would include townhouses, condominiums and a shopping center.  Dennis K. Connelly of Connelly and King Inc. of Schaumburg, represented Mr. Rosenwinkel.Rosenwinkel farm

30 Years Ago in 1986

  • The United Way of Schaumburg-Hoffman Estates celebrated its 20th anniversary.  Originally founded on August 2, 1966 as Schaumburg Township Community Fund, Inc., the group distributed over $2 million in the 20-year span to local organizations that provided human care services to those in need.
  • Consideration was being given to hiring a consultant to give direction on redeveloping portions of Schaumburg’s Town Square.  A plan was also being put together to redevelop the Quindel/Lengel area southeast of the intersection of Schaumburg and Roselle Road into a pedestrian mall.  Lengel Drive at the time was an unpaved road.
  • Random Acres Farm Stand, on Schaumburg Road west of Plum Grove Road, was selling Super sweet corn, cucumbers, peppers, cantaloupe, zucchini and more.  Their home grown tomatoes were .79 a pound.  They were open seven days a week from 10-7.Random Acres

20 Years Ago in 1996

  • Miss Molly’s of Schaumburg, a Danish bakery at 1407 W. Schaumburg Road, had been open for six years.  The specialty was the kringle, a flaky coffeecake pastry with layers of butter rolled into it.  They also sold bakery items such as breads, cookies, doughnuts and eclairs but their other specialty was cakes designed and made in house.
  • A fundraiser at the soon-to-open Roosevelt University successfully raised more than $300,000, allowing the school to meet its $5 million building-fund goal a few months early.  The first classes at the Albert A. Robin campus were scheduled to open August 26.
  • Drivers who park at the Schaumburg train station incurred their first increase in fees since the station opened in 1981.  Daily fees went from .75 to 1.00.  The increase was necessary to fund new parking lot improvements, creating more reserved parking spaces and adding additional landscaping.

10 Years Ago in 2006

  • Medieval Times was the location for a twenty-first century event when they sponsored an area audition for the popular game show, “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?”  Nearly 2500 people showed up to try out.
  • The village announced that, as part of their 50th anniversary celebration, they would be erecting a new public safety memorial to honor the men and women who work to keep the village safe from crime and disaster.  The memorial was to be built on the site of the village’s police station and newest fire station.Public Safety memorial
  • The Schaumburg Park District announced they would now be including a 2 1/2 hour preschool class on Tuesdays and Thursdays that would incorporate the Polish language and culture into the curriculum.  This followed on the successful model of a Japanese class that had been offered the prior year.

Jane Rozek
Local History Librarian
Schaumburg Township District Library
jrozek@stdl.org

The factual items for this blog posting were taken from stories that appeared in the Daily Herald and the Chicago Tribune.

SCHAUMBURG THROUGH THE DECADES: A MONTHLY LOOK BACK (JULY)

July 17, 2016

During Schaumburg’s 60th anniversary year of 2016, we will take a look back at the Schaumburg  you’ve known for the last six decades.  Every month there will be a posting on 3 village happenings for each decade the village has been in existence.  Maybe you remember some of the events and have something more to add to a few of the items?  Send in your comments!

60 Years Ago In 1956

  • The Schaumburg Transportation Company on Roselle Road appealed to the Illinois Commerce Commission for a temporary permit to establish a bus route between Roselle and Palatine, via Hoffman Estates and Schaumburg.  The plan was to have morning and afternoon buses that would accommodate passengers on the Milwaukee Road line in Roselle and the Chicago and Northwestern line in Palatine.Schaumburg Transportation
  • Another petition was filed with Cook County to rezone a 38-acre parcel of land from agricultural to industrial.  The parcel was on the west side of Rodenburg Road, north of the Milwaukee Road line.  The farm was owned by Marvin A. Anderson and the intention was to develop a ready-mix, concrete plant to occupy a portion of the property.
  • School District 54 began placing ads in the local papers advertising for new teachers.  Superintendent Robert Flum had already signed three new teachers for the 8 room school house on Schaumburg Road–two of them through the classified ads.  To encourage application, he even gave his home phone number to the paper so that any potential candidates could contact him more easily.

50 Years Ago in 1966

  • On July 23, a benefit called The Shindig was held to raise money for the Schaumburg Volunteer Fire Department.  For the second year in a row, the event was held on the parking lot of the Weathersfield Commons Shopping Center.  A square dance, called by Bob Kim of the Plaids and Calico dance club of Hoffman Estates, was a highlight of the Shindig with records being played during intermission.  Sandwiches and drinks were also sold.  Five local organizations, including the Weathersfield Homeowners Association, Junior Woman’s Club, the Moose, the Jaycees, and the Lions Club all participated in the gala.  The year before had seen 2000 people attend.
  • The new $40,000 fire station opened to the public on July 7.  The station was located just east of the Weathersfield Commons Shopping Center and was under the auspices of the Roselle Fire Protection District.  The 40-acre property was purchased from District 211 and the building begun in the fall of 1965.  The village of Schaumburg was not scheduled to take the department over from Roselle until 1967 when it had both the budgeted funds and had set up the structure of its own district.
  • A builder announced plans to begin a new subdivision in the village.  Frederickson and Co. was planning a 300-400 development on the 160-acre site immediately south of Lexington Fields, between Route 53 and Meacham Road.

40 Years Ago in 1976

  • Franklin Weber Pontiac at 100 W. Golf Road sponsored their “Price Chopping Sale” on their Grand Prix, Catalina and Le Mans models–to name a few.  They mentioned in their ad that they were open on Sundays.Franklin Weber
  • Polk Bros., at 900 E. Golf Road, was advertising their Zenith Premier Days with a full case of 48 oz. bottles of Bubble Up with a purchase of $50 or more.  [The Polk Bros. chain went out of business in April 1992.  It was one of five stores left at the time.]
  • The Schaumburg Township Public Library was looking for interested parties, 16 and older, to join a new Game Club.  Potential games to be played were backgammon, chess, Scrabble, bridge and others.

30 Years Ago in 1986

  • Village trustee, Carl Niemann, and fellow members of the Community Planning and Development Committee, asked village planners to inventory the historic structures in the Olde Schaumburg Centre district and make a plan for saving them.  The intent was to avoid destruction of historic buildings such as the old Schaumburg bank that had been moved from the northeast corner of Schaumburg and Roselle Road to a Town Square location along Roselle Road.  It was torn down in 1982.Bank
  • Village officials decided to put aside their plan to funnel traffic from Schaumburg High School to Braintree Drive and instead pursue the installation of a traffic signal at Grand Central Lane.  Cook County had been reluctant in the past because the traffic counts did not warrant a light.
  • Fretter Superstores, at 820 E. Golf Road near Woodfield, had an “Everything on Sale” sale.  [Fretter was very similar to Polk Bros. in that they sold appliances and electronics.

20 Years Ago in 1996

  • Martin Conroy, Schaumburg’s first Police Chief, died on July 21, 1996 at his home in Florida.  Mr. Conroy was appointed chief of police on March 15, 1960 and served in that role until his retirement in 1981.3267
  • The village announced that they would be hiring a part-time employee to oversee operations at the Schaumburg Regional Airport nearly eight months after it opened.  The employee would deal with the administration of the airport as well as working with the operating company who were soon to be hired.  Northwest Flyers and Saxon Aviation were operation companies being considered.
  • It was announced that Maggiano’s Little Italy was considering its second suburban location in Schaumburg.

10 Years Ago in 2006

  • Sam & Harry’s, a steak chain based in Washington, D.C., opened its first Illinois location in the Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel and Convention Center.  They specialize in surf ‘n turf dishes.
  • Woodfield Mall was the number one tourist destination in Illinois–over Sears Tower, over Navy Pier, over Lincoln’s Home and over the Shedd Aquarium.  Between four and five million visitors came annually to take in the shopping and restaurants.
  • The village held an open house for the public at the new Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel and Convention Center on Saturday, July 29.  Guided tours were offered every 30 minutes from the front entrance.

Jane Rozek
Local History Librarian
Schaumburg Township District Library
jrozek@stdl.org

The factual items for this blog posting were taken from stories that appeared in the Daily Herald and the Chicago Tribune.