This photo shows the second St. John Lutheran Church with the cemetery nearby. It’s location was across the street from the fourth and current church which is located at 1800 S. Rodenburg Road in Schaumburg.
The first church was erected in 1851 by German settlers. The original congregation was comprised of members who found it difficult to travel the distance to St. Peter Lutheran Church. The charter members of the church were: Christoph Steffen, Heinrich Hasemann, Friedrich Hinze, Heinrich Mensching, Christopher Ackmann, Conrad Dralle and Conrad Geistfeld.
In 1859, St. John’s joined the Missouri Synod and not long after it was decided that a new church was needed because of the growing congregation. This second church was dedicated on December 16, 1863. The earliest burials recorded in the cemetery are from the 1860s.
The date of the photo is unknown although the next church was constructed on the same site in 1911 after this one burned down August 23, 1910. It should also be noted that the area near this church was commonly known as Rodenburg, named for the area in Germany where many of the original church members were from.
Local History Librarian
Schaumburg Township District Library