HISTORY OF SCHOOL DISTRICT 54
History of School District 54
Community Consolidated School District 54 was formed in 1952. One of the first actions of the new Board of Education was to build Schaumburg School. Each board member contributed one-seventh of the $100 needed as a deposit to purchase the 15-acre parcel. The voters approved a bond issue of $150,000 in 1952 to build the school.
The farming communities began to harvest a crop of buildings. Farms turned into subdivisions, which brought young families and children to the country.
When Schaumburg School opened in January 1954, three teachers were teaching 87 students in first through eighth grades. Then developers in Hoffman Estates started selling homes, and by September 1955, 327 students waited for classes to begin.
School building dedications became frequent township events. In the 1960s, 11 schools were built to meet the mushrooming population. In the 1970s, 13 more schools were built. Margaret Mead Junior High School in Elk Grove Village is the district’s newest school, built in 1980.
School District 54 is now the largest elementary school district in the state, having 27 schools and about 14,000 students. It covers all of Schaumburg Township (nearly 31 square miles), and includes parts of the villages of Elk Grove Village, Hanover Park, Hoffman Estates, Rolling Meadows, Roselle, Streamwood and Schaumburg.